Who We Are
We are a non-party political campaigning organisation involving disabled people, carers, trade unionists, activists, academics and health and social care professionals and workers.
We are a coalition of individual members and affiliated organisations campaigning for all social support, independent living and care services to be:
- Free at the point of use
- Fully funded through progressive taxation
- Subject to national standards based on article 19 of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Disabled People, addressing people’s aspirations and choices and with robust safeguarding procedures.
- Publicly and democratically run, designed and delivered locally and co-productively involving Local Authorities, the NHS and service users, disabled people and carers
- Underpinned by a workforce who have appropriate training, qualifications, career structure, pay and conditions.
- Committed to giving informal carers the rights and support they need.
Reclaim Social Care seeks to work with Reclaiming Our Futures Alliance (ROFA) and all allies in the Disabled People’s movement to support the vision for a National Independent Living Support Service. The Vision states that the social care element of Disabled people’s right to independent living to be administered through a new national independent living service managed by central government, but delivered locally in co-production with Disabled people. It will be provided on the basis of need, not profit, and will not be means tested. It will be independent of, but sit alongside, the NHS and will be funded from direct taxation. https://www.rofa.org.uk/independent-living-for-the-future/
We are also currently working with Keep Our NHS Public (KONP) and the Socialist Health Association (SHA) on a broad-based campaign for a National Care, Support and Independent Living Service https://keepournhspublic.com/campaigns/social-care-campaign/